Sunday, January 20, 2008

Catching up with Petie MacKay

I have been off sick for a few days. In the meantime, life and politics goes on. I will attempt to catch up as soon as possible.

Let's start with our straight shooter Defence Minister Peter (I love my dog... and only my dog) MacKay. Let me set things straight at the beginning. Canada's Greatest Government (TM: PM Harper) has been in power for almost two wonderful and glorious years, a time of great prosperity and positive things happening to our finally-on-the-world-stage nation.

In late 2005 the former (boo hiss) government of Paul (spit!!!) Martin signed an agreement for new helicopters. The schedule called for deliveries of begin November 2007. They won't, at this time, begin for another year or two. Forgive me for restating that CGG has been in power since 2006, a year before the first delivery was scheduled. Did no one notice the helicopter contract was in default? Did CGG and the Defence Department, ask any questions? Did they demand any answers? Did they apply any penalties?

Nope.

"So what went wrong, Minister MacKay?" the press and the opposition asked.

MacKay cleared his throat, smiled, and then blamed everything on a decision made by Jean Chretien in 1995 or so.

So much for ministerial responsibility.

I love the government!

No comments: