Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The long reach of stupidity

So here I am in Saskatoon.  I am having breakfast at a local establishment quietly reading the morning news rag and what should my wondrous eyes behold?  A full length editorial comment on a 3 week old story that includes my old friend Lisa MacLeod, Ontario MPP extraordinaire.  An issue which I thought had been burned to a crisp in the media but continues to surface out here.

The issue was the ruling of the judge in the Larry O'Brien case.  The judgment included a synopsis of the evidence and questioning of MacLeod by Larry Edelson, the defense lawyer.  That "evidence and testimony" included such things as "it was a small part of a larger conversation" and "my dad was dying in Nova Scotia so I had other things on my mind."  All these are very good facts for the defense to bring forward.  Then the judge called MacLeod's testimony unreliable because she presented four stories on four different occasions.  Anyone who knows Ms MacLeod, would not be too surprised by that.

But Ms MacLeod did not like being called unreliable so she quipped to the Globe & Mail that she did not know that "truth knew a gender".  In other words she called the judge sexist.

Again, I thought that this issue was put down a few weeks back.  The reality is that anyone who read sexism into the judges remarks was either sexist themselves or did not read the judgment.  The truth of the matter is that McLeod is a self-promoter and decided to use gender as a weapon to raise her pitiful profile within the opposition benches.
.

No comments: