Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What comes around

A number of years ago a lawyer sat across a table from me and told me that there was nothing wrong with outsourcing lesser-skilled jobs to India. You will make more money, says he.  He also told me that the higher-skilled and higher paid jobs would be safe in Canada.  I jokingly asked him if his was one of the highly-skilled jobs. His answer was, "they could never outsource me."

Wrong.

According to the Globe & Mail, Canadian company Rio Tinto has outsourced its legal council to India. (chuckle, chuckle)

Hey, the Indians have the same common law structure as Canada so it makes sense.

Does that mean that we can or should outsource to Indian judges? After all Canadian judges are far too overworked and overpaid.

While we are at it, since India has the British Parliamentary system, maybe we can outsource Parliament. Now wouldn't that be juicy!

No comments: