Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Harper again?????

Honest to gosh, I am trying to like PM Harper. I have been a federal Liberal all my life but I have worked for candidates of other stripes when I preferred the candidate over the party. I am trying my best to like Stephen Harper but he is making it tough.

His latest blooper is the agreement to settle out of court with Alan Riddell, deposed Conservative candidate in the last election. After declaring that there was no agreement to compensate Riddell for his costs of being a candidate, Harper's office issued a press release on Remembrance Day that they have paid Riddell off out of court. How do you pay off a settlement when no agreement existed? And on what basis was Justice Denis Power of the Ontario Superior Court able to decide that there was an agreement and that it was enforceable? There must have been some form of agreement.

Geez, I can hear it now. John Baird is going to scream at me and blame everything on the Liberals.

Maybe while he is screaming he can explain to me how PM Harper can promise in his 2006 election platform to "ensure that party nomination and leadership races are conducted in a fair, transparent and democratic manner" and "prevent party leaders from appointing candidates without the democratic consent of local electoral district associations.", and then turn around an replace two Toronto area candidates who were selected democratically by their riding constituents.

I am trying to like the PM.

No comments: