Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ottawa Citizen goes native

You could have knocked me over with a feather this morning. The local news rag, the Ottawa Citizen, has an editorial telling us that they back the right of persons to break the law in the name of religion.

At issue is the running battle between a Sikh motorcycle rider and the province of Ontario. The province has a law that mandates motorcycle riders to wear helmets. "I don't want to wear a helmet," says the Sikh. "It clashes with my turban, which my religion demands that I always wear."

The Ottawa Citizen's take? "A helmet-less Sikh motorcyclist should be a symbol of a society whose flexibility makes it stronger."

CRAP!

A helmet-less Sikh motorcyclist is a symbol of preferential treatment under the law (some might even call it pandering). Welcome to Canada's version of the caste system, wherein certain elements of a society are treated better or worse than other elements. It is another word for discrimination.

If Mr. Sikh-with-no-helmet has an accident with his motorcycle and bangs his head, is OHIP required to pay for his treatment? Is it discriminatory if Mr. Sikh-without-a-helmet's insurance company cancels his policy because of increased risk of serious injury or death?

Why can't you wear a helmet over top of a turban or vice versa?

So what's next on the appeasement file? If I create a organization (let's call it a religion) whose rules say I "must not pay unto Caesar", then am I permitted to not pay taxes, at any level? Think that the government would allow that to stand?

How about a religion that states that I must read the Ottawa Citizen (punishment I am sure) but not pay for it. Would it be discriminatory for the Citizen not to deliver a free paper to me?

Time to grow up, Canada!

No comments: