Friday, May 22, 2009

A loss is a loss

I am bit confused over the rhetoric surrounding the current EI debate in this country.

If I live in a high employment area. I have to work up to 700 hours to qualify for benefits. If I live in a low employment area I can collect after as little as 420 hours. If I am unemployed - I am unemployed, am I not? Why the discrimination?

The hours it takes to qualify is based on the number of people working in an area. It doesn't take into account what is called the six month scenario under which, in some areas, people only work the minimum then quit (or asked to be laid-off) to get benefits. It doesn't take into account the number of jobs that go empty while people are on benefits. Is it possible, for example that a high tech engineer in Ottawa who is laid-off can't find another job in his/her field because none exist? Is it fair for that engineer to have to spend 700 hours just to qualify when a cleaner in Gaspe only has to spend 420 hours to get benefits?

No comments: